rss
email
twitter
facebook

30 June 2008

THE List.

Greetings, hola, bon jour, konichiwa, salom, guten tag, shalom, ni hao.

While Eileen is the most fabulous person to walk this fair earth, I hope that I can suffice for the time in which she has taken leave for the northern lands.

While the magazines I have been receiving have been gearing up for the Fall season, Summer is still in full swing. In fact, darlings, it has only just begun. So, in the spirit of things, I'd like to chat about what I both have ready for summer, and a few things on my wish list (in no order, of course). As this blog points out, our town is in desperate need of a wardrobe update, so I suppose I am feeling generous by sharing my opinions.
  • High Waists- I am completely in love with this trend at the moment. High-waisted skirts are a dream; they hide not-so-nice stomachs, create a waist if a woman does not have one, and accentuate hourglass figures. Belts are a perfect companion with these skirts - I highly recommend them - and can be placed either at the horizon where the shirt and skirt meet, or around the band of the skirt if it is large enough. This trend is definitely geared towards more slim, pencil-shaped skirts, for trying to wear a full skirt high on the waist usually results in a tacky illusion of large thighs. If skirts are not your thing, there are also shorts (which I cannot seem to find at a length that is appropriate) and pants, which are usually wide-leg. Often I like to balance the volume: The more wide the bottom article of clothing is, the more slip the top article should be. However, an all-slim silhouette (only if you have the figure!) can be very chic.

  • Dresses of all kinds- My obsession with dresses may perhaps be the end of me. I am always asked why I am wearing a dress to such a low-key event, but darling, a) over-dressing a little never killed anyone and b) wearing a dress is perfect for a lazy girl like me. I usually do not wear a dress to be fancy, rather, I am usually too lazy to put on restricting pants and throw on a dress instead. Currently I am loving shirt dresses and belts.

  • Scarves- Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I have an unhealthy obsession with scarves. Now, it may be warm out, but summer scarves are very light and most often used as simply an accessory instead of a warming article of clothing. Wearing a light, flow-y scarf with a skimpy dress or loose-fitting top is such a beautiful, effortless look.

  • Fabulous Footwear- There is a huge variety of footwear this summer: the ubiquitous gladiator sandal (from D&G to Mootsies Tootsies, I promise that there is a pair for you); the delicate, dressed-up thong (have you seen the gold mediallon Calvin Kleins?); the audacious architectural heels (namely Prada, Vivier, Tod's...) and the never-failing open-toed flat. I want them all, and you should too. Just please, please don't ruin a fabulous outfit with a pair of Old Navy flip flops.

  • Loosey Goosey- I am a person who enjoys comfort with her fashion, so I have an intense love for loose, flow-y, '70s-looking tunics. But that is not all; I also love my loose, cuffed J.Crew shorts that have stuck with me since last spring. Occasionally I pair the two with a belt, or I balance the volume of the tops with slim pants or shorts.

  • Going Green- Summer goal: pick up tons of ''green'' fashion. Hopefully this can be achieved during my trip to San Francisco. I know that it is more expensive, but it is absolutely worth paying a few dollars more. Honestly, if you have not fallen in love with the Philip Lim's "Go Green Go'' line (see right), there is something wrong with you. Full article on this coming later.

Anyway, my dears, this is most likely too long as it is. These are only a few of my favorite things, feel free to leave a question or comment for more!

No comments: