rss
email
twitter
facebook

29 June 2008

Off to the Wilds!

I'm off to Northern Minnesota for 2 weeks to learn German.. allegedly. It's an immersion thing, and right about now I am having a small, very contained, almost imperceptible to the untrained eye, panic attack. Ack, the sweet smell of possible failure and humiliation. It's a good time. Plus I am completely cut off from the outside world of the Internet. Double ack.

While I'm off, I leave you with this. Why do designers persist in using models of such boyish thinness? This isn't about health or portraying women badly or negative ideals, I prefer to take a more economic viewpoint. Since most women--I'll throw out a statistic I made up and say 90%--don't look similar to the models on the runways, why would they want to buy the clothes? Designers claim the clothes fall more gracefully on these types of models, but that begs the question of how they fall upon everyone else? If you can't contour to an hourglass, sweetie, should you really be designing? In my personal opinion, sometimes, just once, it would be nice to see these clothes on more "real" women, if only so I could get a better idea of what I would look like in that garment, and see how the clothes fall in real life, not the magic land of runway models.

What do you think?

No comments: